NEWS ANCHOR/MMJ (W/END) - WTOCJob Category: News
Requisition Number: NEWSA009004
- Posted: August 31, 2023
·LocationsShowing 1 location Savannah, GA 31405, USA
DescriptionAbout Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WTOC-TV is the dominant #1 station in Savannah, GA. We serve 17 counties in Southeast Georgia, known as the Coastal Empire, and three counties in the South Carolina Lowcountry.
WTOC excels in creating effective commercials for our advertising clients. We also create promotional campaigns for our #1 News programs that inform and engage the viewer. WTOC 11 is the number one news source in beautiful historic Savannah, Georgia which was named the third-best city in the U.S. by Travel and Leisure. As Savannah’s first TV station, WTOC’s community roots run deep. The call letters stand for Welcome To Our City.
WTOC is searching for an experienced Anchor and Multi-Media Journalist to join our award-winning number 1 team in Savannah, GA as a Weekend Anchor and Multi-Media Journalist.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Anchoring evening newscasts on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Helping to write, edit, and produce newscasts when anchoring.
- Helping to lead weekend conference calls and guide assignments.
- Pitching and researching enterprise stories at least three days a week.
- Turning at least 2 stories on 2 different topics daily as an MMJ. (There are exceptions to everything, but this is the regular expectation.)
- Ability to drive to and from own stories for coverage, shoot own video, write scripts for both broadcast and digital platforms, edit own stories, and run own live shots.
- Responsible for staying up to date and confirming stories that happen in assigned regional beat.
- Ability to fill in on different shifts as needed.
- Ability to communicate clearly on air and behind the scenes.
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast journalism or related field required.
- At least 2-3 years of experience in a TV newsroom outside of college working as an anchor or multi-media journalist is required.
- Proven reporting and videography skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to help guide coverage for weekend news teams.
- Strong writing skills for both broadcast and digital platforms.
- Solid news judgment.
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", upload your resume, cover letter, and references
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
WTOC-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge. https://youtu.be/kurBg8MPoXs
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to or by the first workday.
Bachelors or better in Journalism or related field.
2-3 years: Years of experience in a TV newsroom outside of college working as an anchor or multi-media journalist is required.